From: Roman Zimmermann <mereandor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo: static/dynamic linking libraries
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:08:28
1 Am Sonntag 29 April 2007 20:46 schrieb paul kölle:
2 > Roman Zimmermann wrote:
3 > > (without the ugly EXTRA_ECONF-hack)?
4 >
5 > I wonder why you call this an ugly hack? It seems to me everyone who
6 > wishes to avoid installing static libs is able to do so with a simple
7 > variable. Having such a feature exposed to the mainstream crowd without
8 > proper support by developers (testing and such) will not do any good.
11 This is an ugly code since it's relies on econf which is - as an
12 implementation detail - only used for packages with ./configure. (according
13 to the ebuild howto). So it's not really a feature but a lucky assumption
14 that most packages know what to do with "./configure --disable-static".
15 Additionally handling exceptions with package.env can be a pain. It is much
16 less supported by tools than package.use or .keywords.
17
18 You are right that it would be wrong to expose this feature. But having it
19 readily available and exposing it are two different sorts of things.