From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:13:20
1 Excerpts from Rich Freeman's message of 2011-07-30 17:10:14 +0200:
2 > On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Samuli Suominen
3 > <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
4 > > 11:39 <@aidecoe> dracut has module fstab-sys. You might check this
5 > > out to mount additional stuff before switching to root.
6 >
7 > If we want to make /usr required on boot we should build this
8 > capability into genkernel. Or, we should have genkernel invoke
9 > dracut,
10
11 It's on my responsibilities list and a progress has been made. I'm
12 currently overloaded since few months, but it is eventually going to be.
13 (It's not so simple as just invoking dracut. Integration is a bit more
14 complicated.)
17 > or just make dracut the official initramfs tool and document
18 > it accordingly.
19
20 It will take some time to finally integrate dracut into genkernel, but
21 making dracut more official tool until this time is possible to
22 accomplish in the nearest future. Although first we need to introduce
23 /run into stable baselayout. If you all decide on the matter and the
24 way through dracut is chosen, just let me know and I'll try stabilize
25 and write docs about dracut as soon as possible.
28 Despite it's easily possible to workaround the problem with initramfs,
29 it's really bad issue that the world is breaking FHS instead of
30 designing something new. (Yes, I know it's so big deal that's
31 impossible… but… doh…)
35 Amadeusz Żołnowski
36
37 PGP key fpr: C700 CEDE 0C18 212E 49DA 4653 F013 4531 E1DB FAB5