From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what's the correct format for bugs containing package name and version?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:14:55
1 On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 06:55:13AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Out of curiousity, what makes the changes necessary in the first
3 > place? It seems like an incredible amount of effort is going into
4 > standardizing the format of textual summary lines and perhaps the
5 > simplest solution is to just not standardize them at all.
6
7 It doesn't hurt to have a recommendation, and personally I really appreciate
8 when people (yes, that includes developers and wranglers ;-) update the line
9 to be more informative. There already is a recommendation on the wiki, part
10 of the Bug Wranglers project [1].
11
12 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Bug-wranglers
13
14 The difference between the segregation character (be it ': ', ' - ', ' : '
15 or what not) is for me less of a concern than the fact that it starts with
16 the category/package name+version (and with "<" in front if it has been
17 fixed with that version or higher). That is a real plus as I can easily see
18 how many fixes are in to a package, which ones to mark as FIXED when
19 stabilizing (I tend to use TEST-REQUEST as long as the package is still in
20 ~arch), etc.
21
22 There are other resources on the wiki as well which might best be aligned
23 with whatever recommendation is used. See "Beautiful bug reports" [2] and
24 "Bugzilla HOWTO" [3] as examples.
25
26 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Beautiful_bug_reports
27 [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bugzilla_HOWTO