From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what's the correct format for bugs containing package name and version?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 19:27:48
1 On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It doesn't hurt to have a recommendation, and personally I really appreciate
4 > when people (yes, that includes developers and wranglers ;-) update the line
5 > to be more informative. There already is a recommendation on the wiki, part
6 > of the Bug Wranglers project [1].
9 Sure, beautiful bug reports are nice, but if people are suffering
10 burnout over editing the line it this doesn't seem like the biggest
11 value-add to me.
12
13 By all means have a standard. But, don't discourage but reporters by
14 asking them to rework reports if they don't conform, and don't
15 discourage maintainers or bug wranglers by yelling at them if they
16 don't clean these up. People can of course can still make things as
17 pretty as they want to.
18
19 The only reason I could see for rigid adherence to a standard is if
20 we're using the field as input to some kind of program, and if we're
21 doing that then the data should really be broken down into appropriate
22 fields like atom, desc, etc.
23
24 So, have a best practice, but let's not get carried away with this
25 sort of thing to the point where people feel like it is getting in the
26 way.
29 Rich