From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what's the correct format for bugs containing package name and version?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:58:20
1 On 03/06/2015 07:27 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It doesn't hurt to have a recommendation, and personally I really appreciate
5 >> when people (yes, that includes developers and wranglers ;-) update the line
6 >> to be more informative. There already is a recommendation on the wiki, part
7 >> of the Bug Wranglers project [1].
10 > Sure, beautiful bug reports are nice, but if people are suffering
11 > burnout over editing the line it this doesn't seem like the biggest
12 > value-add to me.
13 >
14 > By all means have a standard. But, don't discourage but reporters by
15 > asking them to rework reports if they don't conform, and don't
16 > discourage maintainers or bug wranglers by yelling at them if they
17 > don't clean these up. People can of course can still make things as
18 > pretty as they want to.
19 >
20 > The only reason I could see for rigid adherence to a standard is if
21 > we're using the field as input to some kind of program, and if we're
22 > doing that then the data should really be broken down into appropriate
23 > fields like atom, desc, etc.
24 >
25 > So, have a best practice, but let's not get carried away with this
26 > sort of thing to the point where people feel like it is getting in the
27 > way.
30 I too feel that whatever gets decided here will soon be forgotten and
31 people will revert back to whatever makes more sense to them. Would it
32 be terribly difficult to set a template in the "Summary" field whenever
33 the "Keywording and Stabilization" component is selected when filing a bug?
36 Regards,
37 Markos Chandras