From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:39:32
1 On 2018.03.23 09:48, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Geaaru wrote:
3 >
4 > > for both portage and your fork I think that could be interesting add
5 > > an extension to PMS for define inside profiles or targets masking of
6 > > packages of a particular repslository. Currently PMS doesn't permit
7 > > this but have this feature could be help users to define our
8 > > profiles under overlays.
9 >
10 > > Something like this:
11 >
12 > > sys-devel/gcc::gentoo
13 >
14 > Conceptually that makes no sense. sys-devel/gcc is the name of an
15 > upstream package, so what does it even mean to mask it in one
16 > repository but not in another? If it's the same package, then it
17 > should behave in the same way, regardless of the repository its ebuild
18 > it hosted in (or the package being installed, in which case it is no
19 > longer in an ebuild repository).
20 >
21 > If it is a different package however, then it should have a different
22 > name.
23 >
24 > Ulrich
27 Ulrich,
28
29 That has just irritated me. The use case is sdlmame.
30
31 !!! The following installed packages are masked:
32 - games-emulation/sdlmame-0.195::Pi_aarch64 (masked by: package.mask)
33 /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
34 # Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> (18 Mar 2018)
35 # Fails to build (#634662), version bump long time pending (#596162).
36 # Removal in a month.
37
38 games-emulation/sdlmame is masked. I have a higher version in my
39 overlay than the one in the tree and it gets masked too.
40 Its not a problem to me as I know how to manage it. Its just untidy.
41
42 With apologies to Pacho for citing his name in the worked
43 example.
46 Regards,
47
48 Roy Bamford