From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: license group file format
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:12:30
1 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:15:56 -0700
2 Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Ok, as there is currently a lot of work going on for GLEP 23
6 > > (licese based visibility filtering aka ACCEPT_LICENSE) the topic of
7 > > license groups came up, in particular the way how they should be
8 > > (technically) defined.
9 > >
10 > > The simplest way is a line based format
11 > > <groupname> <license1> ... <licenseN>
12 > > however this doesn't allow for any addition of metadata (for example
13 > > descriptions to explain the purpose of a group), these (if wanted)
14 > > would have to be defined in another file. The alternative would be
15 > > to use a more complex file format, for example so called ini-style
16 > >
17 > > [groupname]
18 > > licenses=license1 license2 ... licenseN
19 > > description=Sample license group
20 > > constains_stupid_licenses=1
21 >
22 > Some way to express metadata makes sense, but ini-style doesn't fit in
23 > with any existing configuration format portage (in the broader sense,
24 > not the sys-apps/portage sense) uses (make.conf, metadata.xml, etc) --
25 > does it?
26
27 Well, there have been long-term plans to introduce it into portage (for
28 example to replace the make.conf parser which suffers from a few
29 limitations or to make $FEATURES more flexible), but just plans so far.
30 Thing is that most formats we currently have are one-dimensional
31 (a=b) while for this (groups with metadata) we would need something
32 two-dimensional (a[b]=c).
33
34 Mind that I mentioned the ini-style format just as an example (it has
35 the benefit that we'd get the parser for free), we're completely open
36 to alternatives.
37
38 Marius
43 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
44 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list