From: Daniel Goller <morfic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enroll users for testing packages
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:37:58
1 On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 09:36 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > Eldad Zack wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > Sometimes it becomes a problem whenever a new release or a tricky bugfix comes
6 > > up for a certain package.
7 > > To improve QA we can let our userbase help, especially people who use certain
8 > > packages quite heavily - they can provide good or even superior QA than devs.
9 > >
10 > > I think it would be a nice idea to keep a userlist for anyone who'd like to
11 > > volunteer testing packages they regularly use.
12 > >
13 > > We can consider a web interface for enrolling users to specific packages, and
14 > > maybe even get a bug.g.o account for the list, this way a bug can be opened
15 > > for the testers to comment on whenever a change that requires testing or
16 > > maybe just aiding arch teams to stablize packages.
17 > >
18 > > Maybe this was already pitched but it has just occured to me.
19 > >
20 > > Comments?
24 > Isn't this why we already have the arch tester position as described by
25 > GLEP 41 (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0041.html)?
26 > Furthermore, are you saying that users would enroll themselves via this
27 > hypothetical web interface, or that an arch team would do so for users
28 > who have proven themselves to be worthy? If the former, this would be a
29 > serious step back in terms of QA (think about sorting out all the crap
30 > reports from ricer overlay users with OMGFAST CFLAGS from the decent
31 > ones). If the latter, I think the arch tester position already covers
32 > this sort of thing.
33 >
34 > -Steve
35
36 didn't he ask for people who know a particular application very well?
37 i think there is a big difference between agreeing to test one
38 particular package since they know it very well and want to make sure
39 noone breaks it vs. being a full AT with all the things they get asked
40 to test