From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping ia64/ppc/sparc profiles to dev/exp
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 06:50:57
1 On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 22:01 -0700, Yury German wrote:
2 >
3 > On 5/10/17 12:40 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 > > On 5/10/17 3:29 PM, David Seifert wrote:
5 > > So let's make sure we're on the same page -- here's my
6 > > understanding.
7 > >
8 > > 1) For @system packages, we will have KEYWORDS="ppc" for the stable
9 > > versions and KEYWORDS="~ppc" for the rest.
10 >
11 > So is this only for PPC or PPC64 as well?
12 > Both are security supported arches, but if you are going this route
13 > they
14 > will be dropped to non-secured arches leaving:
15 >
16 > alpha, amd64, hppa, x86.
19 > > 2) For non @system packages we will remove both ppc and ~ppc
20 > > keywords.
21 > >
22 > > 3) If for some reason I need to add back a package to
23 > > build/maintain
24 > > stage3/4, I will rekeyword myself, but other than that, we will
25 > > *not*
26 > > balloon the keywords.
27 > >
28 > > 4) I will take on the responsibility of stabilizing ppc @system
29 > > packages
30 > > if need be.
33 > So just to be clear, any developer can rekeyword a package to ~ppc?
37 1. ppc(= 32 bit) will be massively dekeyworded, ppc64 will stay
38 unchanged (also given that it is an active arch in general and gets CPU
39 upgrades from IBM/OpenPOWER).
40
41 2. In general, no. The proposal will be such that keywording should
42 only be done to aid bootstrapping, not randomly add packages you think
43 might be nice. The whole point of this exercise is to not have to
44 repeat this whole thing again in 2 years, just because someone found a
45 bunch of packages interesting. If there really is a dedicated team up
46 to the task and demonstrably active in keywording/stablereq'ing, we can
47 reconsider.