From: Bruno <bonbons67@××××××××.lu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:01:14
1 On Monday 31 October 2005 21:07, David Morgan wrote:
2 > Why not log all the e{info,warn}s into a file, and then tell the user
3 > about them at the end of the emerge (in the same way they are told about
4 > changes in /etc)? Said file should then be safe to delete if desired.
5 >
6 > Mailing this info instead (/as well?) could also be available as an
7 > option (even if the user just wants to use something simple like nbsmtp
8 > to send it to some email address, rather than having to run their
9 > own mailserver).
10 >
11 > I guess you could also go for something like freebsd's
12 > /usr/ports/UPGRADING file, which users are supposed to read before
13 > upgrading things, but I'm not sure if people would bother reading it.
14 >
15 > Dave
16 There should also be einfo/ewarn BEFORE emerging (e.g. when calculating
17 dependencies => before confirmation for --ask, or at end for --pretend)
18 this way only relevant information for the current merge would be displayed.
19
20 That means that ebuilds should output warnings in a function like pkg_setup
21 but this one must be called at right moment (after deps are calculate, but
22 before unpacking the first package).
23
24 Optionally this method could return a few different return values depending on
25 the importance of the info.
26 0 = just a note
27 1 = important
28 2 = blocker (fail emerge if not pretend/ask)
31 Bruno
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list