From: David Morgan <david.morgan@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:10:17
1 On 19:05 Mon 31 Oct , Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > > Maybe we could add a big news warning in the next minor portage
3 > > update that when you tells you about the new news features (perhaps a
4 > > big einfo after you upgrade.
5 >
6 > The problems of einfo messages not reaching our users have been well
7 > documented already :(
10 Why not log all the e{info,warn}s into a file, and then tell the user
11 about them at the end of the emerge (in the same way they are told about
12 changes in /etc)? Said file should then be safe to delete if desired.
13
14 Mailing this info instead (/as well?) could also be available as an
15 option (even if the user just wants to use something simple like nbsmtp
16 to send it to some email address, rather than having to run their
17 own mailserver).
18
19 I guess you could also go for something like freebsd's
20 /usr/ports/UPGRADING file, which users are supposed to read before
21 upgrading things, but I'm not sure if people would bother reading it.
22
23 Dave
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list