From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:12:56
1 On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 11:17 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Implementing --news will take time.
3
4 It'll take time to get a Portage release out which supports this
5 functionality, sure. Implementing the functionality wouldn't take very
6 long at all.
7
8 > Implementing more news on our site
9 > now takes little work and can be easily done. Outside of these two
10 > options, what is better? I'd say a constant reminder in the GWN would be
11 > helpful.
12
13 The original problem is that GWN, forums, planet.g.o, gentoo-dev - even
14 together, we've seen that they just don't reach enough of our user base.
15 Aren't we just going to reach the same people by putting more news in
16 the same old place? How is that going to reach the people we're not
17 reaching today?
18
19 > Maybe we could add a big news warning in the next minor portage
20 > update that when you tells you about the new news features (perhaps a
21 > big einfo after you upgrade.
22
23 The problems of einfo messages not reaching our users have been well
24 documented already :(
25
26 > I know thats not the best solution either, but I dont' foresee --news
27 > becoming a reality for a while.
28
29 Me neither :( But you know what? It could, if enough people understood
30 the need, and supported its introduction.
31
32 Best regards,
33 Stu
34 --
35 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
36 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
37 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
38
39 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
40 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C