From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 11:43:01
1 On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Pallav Agarwal
2 <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Because we are already expecting an arch tester to conduct tests for the
4 > package. And knowing what to test is something I expect to come more
5 > easily from the maintainer.
8 It would come even more easily from upstream. My point is that
9 upstream obviously doesn't consider it a priority, since if they did
10 they'd be already supplying automated build scripts and we'd already
11 be using them in the test phase. Maintainers generally don't consider
12 them a priority either, since I imagine many existing upstream build
13 scripts aren't implemented, and when they don't exist maintainers
14 generally do not provide test plans.
15
16 Again, I'm not objecting to the creation of this feature. I just
17 think that it is unlikely to have a large impact on how things get
18 done except perhaps for a couple packages or projects. For those
19 packages/projects that do adopt this I'm sure there will be some real
20 benefits.
21
22 I'd also suggest having some way to break out short vs long tests. It
23 might be beneficial to users to be able to run the tests on their own
24 systems and not just limit this to arch testing. Obviously users are
25 going to be less likely to want to run test scripts that take hours to
26 run. Due to the nature of Gentoo it is unlikely that the environment
27 used for testing by the AT is identical to the environment the
28 packages will be run in. I'm not negating the value of testing prior
29 to stabilization, but I don't agree that it completely takes the place
30 of testing at time of installation and if we have automated test
31 scripts, why not make them available to users?
32
33 Of course, that would suggest that there is a potential benefit to be
34 had from putting this into an EAPI. My suggestion would be to try to
35 design this so that it would be appropriate for a future EAPI, but
36 defer considering it for an EAPI until we see the feature getting
37 enough use/demand to warrant this.
40 Rich