From: Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 11:26:07
1 On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 > > On 17 May 2016 at 20:46, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> And as for my pet peeve, tests that are known to fail, can we
7 > >> also annotate that somehow so I don't waste hours running a test
8 > >> suite that gives zero signal on whether I should add the stable
9 > >> keyword? Even a one-line hin in the stabilization request would
10 > >> be nice. As it is, I keep a list of known-to-fail packages and my
11 > >> testing machinery tells me to not bother with FEATURES=test in
12 > >> those case.
13 > >
14 > > IMO: Tests that are "expected to fail" should be killed.
17 > That makes sense, though ironically the only specific hypothetical use
18 > case to come up so far was an example of just this situation. A
19 > package is broken in stable, and a test was proposed to detect if
20 > future stable candidates fix the flaw. There would be no point in
21 > delaying stabilization of a package that contains the same error as
22 > the current stable version.
23 >
24 > I don't see any harm in adding support for automated Gentoo-specific
25 > tests, but I am skeptical of how much use they'll actually get. After
26 > all, we started off with the statement that this is for situations
27 > where upstream doesn't provide test suites, and if upstream can't be
28 > bothered, why would we expect a distro maintainer to care more?
29 >
30 > --
31 > Rich
32 >
33 > Because we are already expecting an arch tester to conduct tests for the
34 package. And knowing what to test is something I expect to come more
35 easily from the maintainer.