From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: introspection use flag
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 21:02:03
1 Maciej Mrozowski posted on Sun, 08 May 2011 22:48:39 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Nirbheek... and what's particularly wrong with 'introspection' global
4 > USE flag having implementation-agnostic "Enable runtime API
5 > introspection" description?
6 >
7 > Nobody sees anything wrong with overly vague 'xml' global USE flag and
8 > my proposition isn't worse ('Add support for XML files' ... you mean
9 > what support? import/export or just expat vs libxml2?)
10
11 FWIW, I believe it's more a case of "what's done is done, and it's more
12 hassle than anybody's been willing to take to fix it now" in the case of
13 USE=xml, than not seeing anything wrong with it. But just because there's
14 already such examples in wide use in the tree doesn't mean we need or want
15 more of them!
16
17 Certainly that's my feeling as a Gentoo sysadmin trying to make sense of
18 such flags and how they affect various packages, especially when a bug
19 ends up being USE-flag dependent and I need to know whether I actually
20 need that functionality or not.
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman