From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:25:15
1 On Wednesday 23 Nov 2005 12:29 am, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 >
3 > As I stated before, you're more than able to take a stage3 tarball +
4 > catalyst + the example catalyst spec files and build your own stage1
5 > tarball. In fact, this is the exact same procedure that Release
6 > Engineering uses in building these tarballs to begin with. So the
7 > "choice" is still there.
8 >
9 I agree with you totally and have no problems at all in having Stage 1/2
10 methods or even the tar balls officially removed from Gentoo but all these
11 complaints by users (or slashdotters as beejay says) are arising because the
12 whole thing has not been documented too well. The users just know one thing
13 i.e. Stage 1 and 2 have been removed and hence the knee jerk reaction. They
14 don't know that these methods have *not* been removed, just the way to get to
15 the point has changed (no matter how worthless it is).
16
17 I actually would like to reiterate what Henrik said in one of his posts "If
18 our users are explained why stage1/2 installs don't give any benefits over a
19 stage3 install, I trust them to acknowledge this fact."
22 Abhay