From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:05:07
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 23:10 +0530, Abhay Kedia wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 22 Nov 2005 10:09 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > *sigh*
4 > >
5 > > Another "Gentoo is about choice" argument. Can I ask you something?
6 > > Where does it say that Gentoo is about choice? I see lots of places
7 > > that say that Gentoo allows you to customize, but nowhere do I see
8 > > anything that says that we are about choice.
9 >
10 > I am a really novice desktop end-user and am following gentoo-dev just for
11 > learning what all goes through the minds of the uber gentoo developers. I
12 > have no say in this discussion as it doesn't effect me and am certainly not
13 > qualified to get into an argument with someone like you but I have read your
14 > posts mentioning this "Where does it say that Gentoo is about choice?"
15 > argument lots of time.
16
17 You have just as much right to speak your mind as I. We aren't special
18 because we're developers. We're all just Gentoo users like you. We
19 just contribute our time to improve Gentoo. If you file bug reports or
20 participate in discussions here, then you're doing the same.
21
22 > Till now I also had a picture in my mind that Gentoo was actually about
23 > "choice" and when I saw that picture getting shattered by a Lead Developer, I
24 > went to look for the places that made me think about Gentoo in that way i.e.
25 > "Gentoo is about choice". These are the few things I could find.
26
27 The problem with the "Gentoo is about choice" argument is that it is
28 used to back up any argument where there's not really a good reason for
29 making the changes *except* for choice.
30
31 > 1) On the about page with picture of "Larry The Cow":
32 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
33 > "He discovered lots of up-to-date packages that could be auto-built
34 > using the optimizations settings and build-time functionality that
35 > he wanted, rather than what some distro creator thought would be
36 > best for him. All of the sudden, Larry the Cow was in control. And
37 > he liked it."
38 > ---rather than what some distro creator thought would be
39 > best for him.
40 > ^ that statement makes you think it is about choice.
41
42 It can imply that, but it does not state it.
43
44 Also, remember that having the *ability* to enact change yourself to
45 make things the way you want is not the same as developers being
46 *forced* to do something simply so you have a choice.
47
48 As I stated before, you're more than able to take a stage3 tarball +
49 catalyst + the example catalyst spec files and build your own stage1
50 tarball. In fact, this is the exact same procedure that Release
51 Engineering uses in building these tarballs to begin with. So the
52 "choice" is still there.
53
54 > 2) The Philosophy: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
55 > "If the tool forces the user to do things a particular way, then the tool is
56 > working against, rather than for, the user."
57
58 Again, you're still free to do what you chose using the tools we
59 provide...
60
61 ...or are you calling *me* a tool? ;P
62
63 > 3) Gentoo Social Contract: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
64 > "A Gentoo operating system should satisfy the self-hosting requirement. In
65 > other words, the operating system should be able to build itself from scratch
66 > using the aforementioned tools and metadata. If a product associated with an
67 > official Gentoo project does not satisfy these requirements, the product does
68 > not qualify as a Gentoo operating system."
69
70 Removing stage1 instructions doesn't go against this in any way.
71
72 > All these things "imply" that there should be a choice for a user to do what
73 > ever way he/she wants while building his/her system i.e. even from scratch.
74
75 Nowhere have I suggested a method of change that would remove this
76 "choice" from the users.
77
78 The problem is that people are confusing "choice" with "developers doing
79 it for me". Just because *I* don't build a stage1 tarball, or just
80 because the instructions are not in the Handbook, does not mean that you
81 cannot still perform a stage1 installation. All of the tools for you to
82 do this are still there, you just have to take the time to use them.
83
84 > Since these documents just implied the "Choice" nature of Gentoo, I went ahead
85 > and did some googling to actually get the direct connection. Searching for
86 > "gentoo about choice" leads 653,000 results and just the first two results
87 > are enough to get the point across for a user.
88
89 They implied it. They did not state it. However, it was pointed out to
90 me that the Handbook, does indeed have the "Gentoo is about choice"
91 mantra in it. I plan on filing a bug against the Handbook to have this
92 changed to something a bit closer to fact, which I will explain a bit
93 further below.
94
95 > 1) From 1st Link:
96 > Gentoo Weekly Newsletter: March 28th, 2005
97 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20050328-newsletter.xml
98 > Developer of the week talks
99 > "Gentoo represents choice and freedom for every user to build their computing
100 > environment to their individual needs, by giving them the tools to do it." --
101 > Marcus D. Hanwell (cryos)
102
103 Right. Giving them the tools. It doesn't say being forced to do
104 something they think is a bad idea and to continue bad practices simply
105 to ease user issues with the choices that they have made. Also, a
106 single developer's statement does not speak for the entire project.
107 What Marcus has to say speaks for the entire project no more than what I
108 say does, which is that I only speak for myself.
109
110 > 2) From 2nd Link:
111 > Trusted Gentoo : by Daniel Black
112 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/20050202-trustedgentoo.xml
113 > "Gentoo is about choice"
114 >
115 > The last link should settle it for you?
116
117 Not really.
118
119 > Can we now comfortably say that "Gentoo is about choice"? The other 652,998
120 > links might reveal a few more places where we can get the choice idea from
121 > but I hope that all these links should be sufficient to give anyone this
122 > idea.
123
124 No.
125
126 I think instead we should say that Gentoo is about empowerment. Allow
127 me to explain. Saying that Gentoo is about choice implies that we will
128 take any patches or any feature requests, no matter how pointless or
129 useless, and increase our workload, simply to give our users more
130 "choice". This is, in fact, extremely far from the truth. Instead, we
131 give the users the tools that they need to accomplish what they want.
132 We *empower* them to make choices. If you want a stage1 tarball, make
133 one. Don't like our choices of kernel sources? Add your own to an
134 overlay. Just because you have the ability to enact a change does not
135 mean that we should be forced to put it into the main distribution and
136 *support* it. Because of this, Gentoo is definitely *not* about choice,
137 but is about *empowering* our users to make choices. They're only
138 subtly different, but it is that difference that keeps Gentoo running.
139
140 Check bugs.gentoo.org for WONTFIX resolution codes. Look for places
141 where we have refused to add features unless they were adopted by
142 upstream. You will find countless examples of us *refusing* to add
143 choices to ensure the quality of Gentoo as a whole.
146 Chris Gianelloni
147 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
148 x86 Architecture Team
149 Games - Developer
150 Gentoo Linux