From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:54:59
1 On 5 October 2010 23:38, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > And for Distros, it doesnt make sense to try to support anything imaginable.
3
4 Not breaking things that already work would be a decent compromise.
5
6 > I'm now working in embedded area (where static linking is quite common)
7 > for about 10yrs, and pkg-config has proven quite well here. (packages
8 > that dont provide .pc-descriptor yet, simply have to be fixed to do
9 > so ;-p). Libtool, on the other hand, always had been a nightmare.
10
11 What about things that don't use pkg-config? If you say "we don't
12 support that, modify it to use pkg-config", does that mean you're
13 willing to make Gentoo incompatible with Linux in general? (That
14 question isn't just about .la files, it applies to any change versus
15 upstream that affects interfaces between components.)
16
17 Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to block anything here. I'm just
18 asking for a small override so people with use-cases you (in general,
19 not a specific person) haven't thought of can be happy. It doesn't
20 have to be officially supported or anything. Is that really so
21 unreasonable?