From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 13:10:28
1 * David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com> schrieb:
2
3 > > And for Distros, it doesnt make sense to try to support anything imaginable.
4 >
5 > Not breaking things that already work would be a decent compromise.
6
7 Any concerete example on what would break if .la files aren't
8 installed anymore ?
9
10 > > I'm now working in embedded area (where static linking is quite common)
11 > > for about 10yrs, and pkg-config has proven quite well here. (packages
12 > > that dont provide .pc-descriptor yet, simply have to be fixed to do
13 > > so ;-p). Libtool, on the other hand, always had been a nightmare.
14 >
15 > What about things that don't use pkg-config?
16
17 As said above: fix them.
18
19 > If you say "we don't support that, modify it to use pkg-config",
20 > does that mean you're willing to make Gentoo incompatible with
21 > Linux in general?
22
23 This doesn't have to do anything w/ Linux - it's an purely userland
24 (and build-time only) issue, applicable to dozens of platforms.
25
26 When it comes to Gentoo (and maybe other distros) we only have to
27 fix a few packages which don't use or support pkg-config yet,
28 but do libtool-based imports. In recent years, those became quite rare.
29
30 > (That question isn't just about .la files, it applies to any change
31 > versus upstream that affects interfaces between components.)
32
33 Are you sure, these .la files are really part of the interface for
34 most packages, but not just an side effect of using libtool ?
35
36 > Just to reiterate, I'm not trying to block anything here. I'm just
37 > asking for a small override so people with use-cases you (in general,
38 > not a specific person) haven't thought of can be happy.
39
40 In this case you'd need some kind of switch. Okay, let's just
41 introduce some make.conf variable for that and tell everybody
42 that there's no support for it whatsoever.
45 cu
46 --
48 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
49
50 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
51 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
53 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme