From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:02:55
1 Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Daniel Ostrow wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hrm, /me thinks you are missing something there, almost the entire
5 >> tree doesn't explicitly state the mirror://gentoo SRC_URI, portage
6 >> handles that automatically. That being the case portage would have
7 >> change so that the automatic lookup was mirror://gentoo/${firstchar}/.
8 >> So that is at least one portage change I can think of being required....
9
10 1925 ebuilds ( with a hacked up SRC_URI checking script )[1]
11 URI_check.py "mirror://gentoo"
15 > Huh? What does it state then? AFAIK ebuilds should ALWAYS use the
16 > mirror:// URI when possible, and since this change is only affecting our
17 > own mirrors, it is always possible.
18 >
19 >> Sure I can still see your point about needing to manually change the
20 >> packages that do explicitly state mirror://gentoo in their SRC_URI,
21 >> but given that you would have to do the above anyway....
24 > Huh?? My point was that we shouldn't have to change all those ebuilds
25 > but instead just changing the mirror://gentoo-mapping.
28 See if we do it the ebuild way we can filter via EAPI. The ebuild has a
29 EAPI=2 SRC_URI, but portage is only EAPI=0, then the ebuild is
30 automagically filtered; as opposed to the ebuild failing miserably.
31 It's getting close to the point where we can finally leverage EAPI to
32 push features out faster because backwards compatability is maintained (
33 for portage ). Infra is still screwed essentially doing 2
34 implementations until such time as the old one can die.
35
36 I'd prefer the mirrors not be special cased in a mapping since. URI's
37 are URI's are URI's...
38
39 -Alec Warner
43 [1] dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/URI_check.py
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list