From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:39:16
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:26:27 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> But, in that case you can put the necessary ebuilds into your overlay
6 >> and then portage can make everything right.
7 >
8 > Oh? Please explain to us a) how the overlay interaction *actually* works
9 > with dynamic dependencies currently,
10
11 No idea. I doubt it is specified behavior. Certainly we should learn
12 whatever lessons we can from what has been done already, but we aren't
13 constrained by it.
14
15 > and b) how it can work both in the
16 > case you describe, and in the case where an overlay has a substantially
17 > different ebuild for the same package.
18
19 I'd think that a change in repository should probably be treated like
20 a revbump. There is no way to know that foo-1-r1 in one overlay is
21 the same as foo-1-r1 in another. The package manager has to figure
22 out which overlay to use already, and if the same PV shows up in a
23 higher-priority overlay then it is treated as a revbump of whatever is
24 in the lower-priority overlay and it triggers a rebuild. Maybe you
25 could get clever about checking for identical ebuilds/eclasses/etc and
26 avoid a rebuild if it literally is the same file, but I wouldn't go
27 further than that.
28
29 Rich