From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 22:04:56
1 On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 01:18:02AM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 10/21/2019 19:36, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:42 AM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> Also, another idea is to use a cheap hash function (e.g. fletcher) and just have the mirrors do the hashing behind the scenes. Then we would have the best of both worlds.
5 > >
6 > > It probably would have been better to make these suggestions when the
7 > > GLEP was discussed close to two years ago.
8 > >
9 > > I'm glad that we have ideas for improvements but I worry that we're
10 > > just backseat driving at this point given that the GLEP's now
11 > > implemented.
12 >
13 > Agreed, although, I don't even remember this coming up two years ago. But,
14 > I was tied up with a lot of work-related stress and tasks, so probably just
15 > my memory storage backend not having enough cycles to commit it to...neurons.
16
17 After looking at this further, I found that the glep was presented to
18 us in Jan 2018 on the dev ml [1].
19
20 I checked all council meeting logs and discovered that this was never
21 brought to us formally for approval.
22
23 It looks like the developers decided to do this as an
24 infrastructure/portage project and because of that they felt like they
25 didn't need a glep.
26
27 Thanks,
28
29 William
30
31 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/cfc4f8595df2edf9a25ba9ecae2463ba
32
33 > IMHO, perhaps future GLEPs should have a defined window to implement them
34 > following discussion. Having the discussion, then waiting a few years
35 > before implementing them leads to discussions like this where we're arguing
36 > about the color of the boat after the boat has sailed off into the distance.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Joshua Kinard
40 > Gentoo/MIPS
41 > kumba@g.o
42 > rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
43 > 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
44 >
45 > "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
46 > our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
47 >
48 > --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic