From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 04:30:44
1 On Wed, 2019-10-23 at 17:04 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 01:18:02AM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 > > On 10/21/2019 19:36, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 9:42 AM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > > Also, another idea is to use a cheap hash function (e.g. fletcher) and just have the mirrors do the hashing behind the scenes. Then we would have the best of both worlds.
6 > > >
7 > > > It probably would have been better to make these suggestions when the
8 > > > GLEP was discussed close to two years ago.
9 > > >
10 > > > I'm glad that we have ideas for improvements but I worry that we're
11 > > > just backseat driving at this point given that the GLEP's now
12 > > > implemented.
13 > >
14 > > Agreed, although, I don't even remember this coming up two years ago. But,
15 > > I was tied up with a lot of work-related stress and tasks, so probably just
16 > > my memory storage backend not having enough cycles to commit it to...neurons.
17 >
18 > After looking at this further, I found that the glep was presented to
19 > us in Jan 2018 on the dev ml [1].
20 >
21 > I checked all council meeting logs and discovered that this was never
22 > brought to us formally for approval.
23 >
24 > It looks like the developers decided to do this as an
25 > infrastructure/portage project and because of that they felt like they
26 > didn't need a glep.
29 ...or simply forgotten whether it was approved or not after waiting
30 almost two years for Portage team provide a reference implementation.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny