From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Assigning unique system uid/gid for new ebuild
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:18:14
1 > In principle packages should never depend on any fixed user id. They should
2 > look at the passwd database for their uid. The only exception is root which
3 > has a predefined userid.
4
5 I believe that Mr. Lesser is asking how one decides on uid/gid's for new
6 packages that should run as something other than root. (For example,
7 apache runs as apache.apache, which maps to uid=81 and gid=81, and those
8 numbers are defined in the /etc/passwd file that's part of baselayout.)
9
10 Unfortunately, we don't have a good answer to that question just yet.
11 The plan is to generate a table of already-taken uid/gid numbers
12 (see
13 http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/eid_database/), but
14 there's clearly a lot of work that needs to be done yet. My best
15 suggestion at the moment is to see what numbers debian is using for your
16 package, check to see if they conflict with anything we have (take a
17 look at the above "database" as well as the passwd and group files at
18 http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/),
19 and go from there.
20
21 Best,