From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 05:37:20
1 On 14:05 Fri 13 Mar , Michael Higgins wrote:
2 > I believe, rather, that the issue is the 'community' appears more like
3 > a 'cabal' when the discussions take place on #IRC and therefore aren't
4 > available in public archives.
5
6 This is kind of like saying: "I don't read the Gentoo forums, so
7 everything that happens on the forums is a cabal." When you specifically
8 choose not to participate in an entire method of communication, it's
9 your choice to leave yourself out. A cabal is totally different -- it
10 doesn't give you that choice by never even telling you there is a place
11 where discussions happen.
12
13 > Even if they are, an IRC log is a *terrible* way to document an issue.
14
15 I agree. So is a mailing-list archive that is also never summarized.
16 It's not the location that makes it a problem, it's the volume of
17 information and the lack of a summary of important decisions or long,
18 important discussions.
19
20 > You all get more closely knit, perhaps, yet appear to do more *in
21 > secret*. There is *no way* to find out what is going on, without
22 > becoming part of the problem... by asking, or lurking, on IRC. This is
23 > bad.
24
25 I can't agree with your assertion that IRC is secretive, is a problem or
26 is bad. I think completely the opposite in all cases. Secretive would be
27 a closed IRC network that we didn't tell non-developers about or didn't
28 allow them to join.
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33