From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: tetromino@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About tests needing internet connection to run
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 07:40:51
1 On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 17:46:49 -0400
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > To be honest, I think the first thing to do would be fixing the test
7 > > suites to skip tests which fail due to internet connection being
8 > > unavailable. Well, there would still be question how to reliably
9 > > determine that...
10 >
11 > For some packages, e.g. geocode-glib, which is basically a library for
12 > calling a particular web service from C code, running the test suite
13 > without network access is almost pointless. (Unless, of course, you
14 > feel like implementing a clone of that web service just to run the
15 > test suite.)
16 >
17 > I don't like tests that need network access, but in a few cases, they
18 > are the only to automatically verify that a package works.
19
20 And 'skipped' tests simply mean that the test suite was unable to
21 verify whether the package works for one reason or another. Well, other
22 than build-time failures and a few possible runtime failures.
23
24 You just have to ensure that it correctly notices the difference
25 between 'no internet' and 'no matching API there'. Probably the domain
26 resolution failure should be the borderline.
27
28 Well, and I don't really mind having PROPERTIES about it. Some users
29 may actually want to know that tests could do better with internet
30 access.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny