From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About tests needing internet connection to run
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 21:48:25
1 On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > To be honest, I think the first thing to do would be fixing the test
3 > suites to skip tests which fail due to internet connection being
4 > unavailable. Well, there would still be question how to reliably
5 > determine that...
6
7 For some packages, e.g. geocode-glib, which is basically a library for
8 calling a particular web service from C code, running the test suite
9 without network access is almost pointless. (Unless, of course, you
10 feel like implementing a clone of that web service just to run the
11 test suite.)
12
13 I don't like tests that need network access, but in a few cases, they
14 are the only to automatically verify that a package works.
15
16 -Alexandre.