From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI and system packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:07:23
1 On Sunday 20 September 2009 13:28:40 Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > So, should we always keep a working EAPI 0 version around? If not, when
4 > > can we drop support for old EAPIs? Your opinions please.
5 >
6 > You might want to define what you mean by dropping support for old
7 > EAPIs? Do you mean:
8 >
9 > 1. No longer ensuring that users who have pre-EAPI versions of portage
10 > have a clean upgrade path.
11 >
12 > or
13 >
14 > 2. No longer supporting EAPI=0/1 in package managers.
15
16 I think he means neither. We should no longer tolerate pre-EAPI2 ebuilds being
17 added to the tree and should work on migrating all "old" ebuilds as the need
18 arises.
19
20 Having 3+x EAPIs around (depending on how you count you can end up with
21 twelve) makes things confusing for devs and introduces an unneeded source for
22 accidental errors.
23
24 > If we want to drop support for EAPI=0/1 then EVERY package in portage
25 > needs to be updated to a more recent EAPI. I suspect we're not there
26 > yet (at the very least all those system packages that are deliberately
27 > held back need to change).
28 It doesn't have to be a forced process. Just prevent "old" EAPIs from being
29 actively used, that'll pull up most packages to a newish EAPI soon. The rest
30 is undermaintained anyway, so if anyone feels bored he can migrate them.
31
32 > I can see why package managers would benefit from fewer cases to
33 > support, however...
34 I think we should care more about developers and the tools they have instead
35 of package manager developers and the things they may or may not do.
36
37 At the same time I consider the current development of having EAPI 3 mostly
38 finished, features for EAPI 4 discussed and ideas for EAPI 5 being thrown
39 around to be quite stupid. The whole process needs to slow down. Most devs
40 can't list you the differences between 0, 1 and 2 ... how do you expect them
41 to have any benefit from adding more stuff?
42
43 Just my 3 cents (inflation-corrected),
44
45 Patrick