From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI and system packages
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:28:59
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > So, should we always keep a working EAPI 0 version around? If not, when can
3 > we drop support for old EAPIs? Your opinions please.
6 You might want to define what you mean by dropping support for old
7 EAPIs? Do you mean:
8
9 1. No longer ensuring that users who have pre-EAPI versions of portage
10 have a clean upgrade path.
11
12 or
13
14 2. No longer supporting EAPI=0/1 in package managers.
15
16 The former seems to be what we're talking about, but your question
17 sounds like it is suggesting the latter.
18
19 If we want to drop support for EAPI=0/1 then EVERY package in portage
20 needs to be updated to a more recent EAPI. I suspect we're not there
21 yet (at the very least all those system packages that are deliberately
22 held back need to change).
23
24 I can see why package managers would benefit from fewer cases to
25 support, however...