From: Matt Thrailkill <xwred1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large scale deployments - and portage
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:29:55
1 I've been using my own rsync mirror for my handful of Gentoo boxes, and
2 for a long time I've been lusting after something like tagged branches
3 of the Portage tree like how you have Woody or Slink or Sarge in Debian,
4 or how you have -CURRENT, -STABLE, -RELENG_N_M in FreeBSD.
5
6 This discussion has come up a few times on this list before, in short
7 form. It sounds like the core Gentoo team is busier with other things,
8 and the zeitgeist is that people like us would just use the GRP.
9
10 I'd LOVE to start/work on some sort of project to maintain different
11 Portage trees for people to rsync against. I think it could work out
12 really well, it'd be a symbiotic relationship to the current Gentoo -
13 the herd of Gentoo developers can continue advancing the distro, adding
14 bleeding edge ebuilds to Portage, etc. Basically, advancing the Gentoo
15 analogue of sid/-CURRENT. Then the other Portage Branches project can
16 siphon off the ebuilds they want and apply their own pessimism to create
17 stable branches, versioned releases of the tree and so on. Then people
18 pick the branch they want to sync against, and use it.
19