From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects and subproject status
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:27:23
1 On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:06 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> posted 47853193.5040603@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:41:55 +0200:
4 >
5 > > Luca Barbato kirjoitti:
6 > >> Petteri Räty wrote:
7 > >>> [Java]
8 > >>
9 > >> any plan/idea about icedtea? as a ppc user I'd love[]
10 > >>
11 > > Well having it open source doesn't mean automatically ppc support but
12 > > there are people working on it.
13 >
14 > As a (non-ppc, amd64 FWIW) libreware user, I too am happy to see
15 > someone's working on icedtea. I'd love to have a real/working Java as a
16 > viable option once again. Not demanding as I'm very aware I'm not doing
17 > the work, just wondering, and appreciating that it's even possible, now,
18 > and all the work people both upstream and Gentoo are putting into it.
19 >
20 > ETA? At least order of magnitude (weeks, months, years, hopefully not
21 > decades! =8^)? I'm not afraid of overlays.
22
23 No clue on ETA. I will take a peek/poke at it. I need to double check,
24 but pretty sure icedtea might still need sun-jdk to build. Even if that
25 is not the case, things like the plugin and other non-open aspects
26 aren't available yet in icedtea. So there is still much left to be
27 desired.
28
29 I am pretty sure due to the need either for build or run of sun-jdk we
30 aren't really motivated to do anything special with icedtea at this
31 time. Really doesn't allow us to do anything more than we can now with
32 openjdk. Sure some more free tools are used to build instead of entirely
33 using sun-jdk. But it's not complete, so leaves stuff to be desired.
34
35 http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea/file/6cb15624ed1d/README
36
37 http://fitzsim.org/blog/?p=16
38
39 Not to burst your bubble or pee in your corn flakes. But I will see what
40 I can do to slowly start making an effort to package it. Love to see a
41 contributor or someone step up there. As over all maintenance of openjdk
42 is ALLOT atm due to weekly releases :(
45 William L. Thomson Jr.
46 Gentoo/Java