From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>, "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 00:29:26
1 On 2/10/21 10:51 AM, Lars Wendler wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:57:48 +0200 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>
6 >> I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
7 >>
8 >> "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable,
9 >> precompiled packages for a subset of configurations, via central
10 >> binary package hosting. Currently we are still in the conceptual
11 >> planning stage. "
12 >>
13 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
14 >>
15 >> If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the
16 >> wiki page.
17 >>
18 >> Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central
19 >> point of the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a
20 >> tinderbox). I'm more concerned about
21 >> * what configurations should we use
22 >> * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g.
23 >> binpkg signing and verification)
24 >> * how should hosting look like
25 >> * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into
26 >> production"
27 >> * ...
28 >>
29 >> Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
30 >>
31 >> Cheers,
32 >> Andreas
35 > It would be great to improve portage speed with handling binpkgs. I
36 > already have my own binhost for a couple of Gentoo systems and even
37 > though these systems don't have to compile anything themselves,
38 > installing ~100 to ~200 binpkgs takes way more than an hour of
39 > installation time. Arch Linux' pacman only takes a fraction of this
40 > time for the very same task.
41 > I know that I compare apples with pears here but even reducing the
42 > current portage time by 50% would be a huge improvement.
43
44 In order to maximize throughput, we have FEATURES="parallel-install"
45 that for example allows one package's files to be merged while a
46 pkg_{pre,post}{inst,rm} phase is running for an unrelated package that
47 is in the merge queue.
48
49 There's also FEATURES="-ebuild-locks" which allows privileged
50 pkg_{pre,post}{inst,rm} phases to run concurrently with privileged
51 phases of unrelated packages in the merge queue.
52
53 Ultimately, pkg_{pre,post}{inst,rm} phases could be the limiting factor
54 here. I portage, we should eliminate calls to these phases when
55 DEFINED_PHASES metadata indicated that they're not defined.
56
57 Also, FEATURES=preserve-libs introduces considerable overhead because it
58 regenerates LinkageMapELF data structures for every merge. It would be
59 much more efficient if it could incrementally update these data structures.
60 --
61 Thanks,
62 Zac