From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] app-arch/rpm - a few questions
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 10:39:07
1 On Wednesday 05 May 2010 18:34:44 Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
2 > >=rpm-4.7 introduced certain changes to rpm files created by them which
3 > makes some features unavailable when using older rpm versions. Would you
4 > consider this a problem (in other words: are you creating rpms with
5 > gentoo and use them someplace else)? 4.7 was released over a year ago so
6 > I would say most major rpm-based distributions already support those new
7 > features.
8
9 i wouldnt sweat it ... stick with upstream and let people dealing with
10 backwards compat take care of the issue themselves (install an older distro)
11
12 > 2. What's your take on (re)moving app-arch/rpm-5?
13
14 users requested rpm-5, so if you simply want to rename it, i dont see a
15 problem with it. allowing the two to be installed simultaneously would be
16 neat, but if it isnt possible without a lot of hassle, oh well.
17
18 > Also any other ideas on use of rpm on Gentoo would be appreciated. For
19 > example rpm.eclass is still bit unknown for me for now...I still have to
20 > see what's it about :-)
21
22 rpm.eclass exists merely to work with .rpm files in ebuilds. i.e. someone
23 only releases a rpm of source/binaries, so rather than manually re-package,
24 the ebuild fetches the rpm directly and then unpacks it with the eclass. it
25 isnt used for anything else (like creating rpms).
26 -mike