From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 03:45:27
1 On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:47 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2019-09-05 22:16, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > >> But as per the way the dev manual is written, he arguably *is*
5 > >> following policy.
6 > >>
7 > >> Stop taking the line of assuming he's trying to be belligerent.
8 > >
9 > > He says explicitly that he is against fixing devmanual because he likes
10 > > the way he can abuse it right now.
11 >
12 > You are the only one adding _abuse_ here. Stop that, thanks. When I
13 > replied to your mail I was just asking... nothing more. I don't
14 > understand why you are reading so much into it.
15
16 The devmanual o clearly indicates that an email to gentoo-dev is
17 strongly preferred. I don't see any reason why tupone could not have
18 done this.
19
20 You seem to be trying to take this opportunity to prove some loosely
21 related point.
22
23 > But yes, I like the current exception for "per-package" eclasses like I
24 > am concerned that a review requirement would cause a significant delay:
25 >
26 > Back to my example, imagine we would move pkg_config to new mysql
27 > eclass. If we would bump mysql/percona-server/mariadb package and will
28 > receive bug reports later because upstream changed something causing
29 > pkg_config to fail we would now have to propose a patch, wait 48
30 > hours... i.e. package would be broken for ~72 hours just because of a
31 > policy I don't reject in general (yes, I like reviews) but where I think
32 > exceptions must be possible.
33
34 This argument is stupid. If you need to push a critical bug fix, then
35 do it. Nobody will fault you for it.
36
37 This clearly does not apply to ada.eclass.