From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 22:47:22
1 On 2019-09-05 22:16, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >> But as per the way the dev manual is written, he arguably *is*
3 >> following policy.
4 >>
5 >> Stop taking the line of assuming he's trying to be belligerent.
6 >
7 > He says explicitly that he is against fixing devmanual because he likes
8 > the way he can abuse it right now.
9
10 You are the only one adding _abuse_ here. Stop that, thanks. When I
11 replied to your mail I was just asking... nothing more. I don't
12 understand why you are reading so much into it.
13
14 But yes, I like the current exception for "per-package" eclasses like I
15 am concerned that a review requirement would cause a significant delay:
16
17 Back to my example, imagine we would move pkg_config to new mysql
18 eclass. If we would bump mysql/percona-server/mariadb package and will
19 receive bug reports later because upstream changed something causing
20 pkg_config to fail we would now have to propose a patch, wait 48
21 hours... i.e. package would be broken for ~72 hours just because of a
22 policy I don't reject in general (yes, I like reviews) but where I think
23 exceptions must be possible.
24
25 So for my understanding this is not about 'fixing' devmanual. It's about
26 *changing* devmanual which I *just* pointed out. But whoever will
27 propose changing devmanual should support such a change because he/she
28 will probably have to argue for that change. Something I cannot do when
29 I like status quo like I do currently or have concerns.
33 Regards,
34 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
35 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5