From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: Stanislav Brabec <utx@×××××××.cz>, aeriksson@××××××××.fm
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:58:20
1 On Tuesday 23 September 2003 03:08 pm, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
2 > There are other issues, too:
3
4 <snip>
5
6 I don't understand the logic behind blindly following a document like the FHS.
7 If there are compelling reasons why a directory of installation path is
8 incorrect, then it needs to be addressed. However, I can tell you that 99%
9 of Linux users have multiple directories underneath /mnt (cdrom, hd,
10 usbhd...). This is a violation of the FHS.
11
12 As far as I can tell, Gentoo only doesn't comply in areas where it made more
13 sense for us to use something different. If installing kde and qt into /opt
14 is most important, why not symlink it there?
15
16 I guess I just fail to see the advantage of having an "FHS compliant" sticker
17 on the proverbial box when it makes more sense to do things differently. And
18 in some cases, it is only that way to support legacy users who are used to
19 doing things a certain way.
20
21 I have yet to see an installation that is 100% FHS compliant. I'd say that
22 97% is pretty darn good. :)
23
24 Caleb
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list