From: dams@×××.fr
To: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
Cc: Stanislav Brabec <utx@×××××××.cz>, aeriksson@××××××××.fm, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:09:07
1 Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o> said:
2
3 > On Tuesday 23 September 2003 03:08 pm, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
4 >> There are other issues, too:
5 >
6 > <snip>
7 >
8 > I don't understand the logic behind blindly following a document like the FHS.
9
10 FHS is made so that f*cking proprietary application get well installed on every
11 distribution, so that they can sell more, and make the big linux actors (IBM
12 and co), more rich.
13
14 If you agree with this way to let linux go forward (I have no opinion on that),
15 then be FHS compliant. It's certain that being FHS compliant is a plus when
16 dealing with proprietary software companies.
17
18 > If there are compelling reasons why a directory of installation path is
19 > incorrect, then it needs to be addressed. However, I can tell you that 99%
20 > of Linux users have multiple directories underneath /mnt (cdrom, hd,
21 > usbhd...). This is a violation of the FHS.
24 dams
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list