From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: dams@×××.fr
Cc: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>, Stanislav Brabec <utx@×××××××.cz>, aeriksson@××××××××.fm, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo vs. the FHS
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:44:28
1 On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 16:12, dams@×××.fr wrote:
2 > FHS is made so that f*cking proprietary application get well installed on every
3 > distribution, so that they can sell more, and make the big linux actors (IBM
4 > and co), more rich.
5 >
6 > If you agree with this way to let linux go forward (I have no opinion on that),
7 > then be FHS compliant. It's certain that being FHS compliant is a plus when
8 > dealing with proprietary software companies.
9
10 I think you may be confusing FHS with LSB. FHS is actually a decent stab
11 at standardizing the filesystem hierarchy. However, it is not perfect
12 and cannot address every possible issue. But it is a good general
13 guideline.
14
15 Sincerely,
16