From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] udev rules cleanup / merging rules files with other distros
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:43:51
1 Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> posted
2 200709051138.53143.zzam@g.o, excerpted below, on Wed, 05 Sep 2007
3 11:38:52 +0200:
4
5 > On Mittwoch, 5. September 2007, Rémi Cardona wrote:
6 >> Maybe some of those groups could be merged (cdrom, cdrw) or dropped
7 >> (tape maybe?)
8 >>
9 > I guess this is ok, as for normal burning cdrom for now does grant all
10 > permissions.
11 > Only questionable thing is: Isn't a user with write permission to cdroms
12 > able to modify firmware ... ?
13
14 There is... or used to be anyway... additional security implications
15 here. udev is close enough to the kernel that perhaps you know all about
16 the below and are already considering whatever implications remain in
17 current kernels, but if not, getting kernel and/or security involved in
18 this may be useful. I don't know what current status is on this, thus
19 the suggestion to involve security/kernel, but:
20
21 2.6.8 and CD recording (LWN.net, 2004, Aug 18)
22 http://lwn.net/Articles/98379/
23
24 SCSI command filtering (LWN.net, 2006, July 31)
25 http://lwn.net/Articles/193516/
26
27 The gist of which is that under certain circumstances, users with CD/DVD
28 write permissions may be able to scramble other SCSI devices as well.
29 With libata SCSI emulated SATA and PATA, that's potentially any hard
30 drive on a modern system. Shades of malware that holds your data for
31 ransom ("Wire me $1000 and I'll email you the unlock password."), anyone?
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list