From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] udev rules cleanup / merging rules files with other distros
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:48:05
1 On Mittwoch, 5. September 2007, Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > Maybe some of those groups could be merged (cdrom, cdrw) or dropped
3 > (tape maybe?)
4 >
5 I guess this is ok, as for normal burning cdrom for now does grant all
6 permissions.
7 Only questionable thing is: Isn't a user with write permission to cdroms able
8 to modify firmware ... ?
9
10 > Having usb devices as root:root 644 is going to be a PITA if we don't
11 > have something like a sane pam_console (one that doesn't change all /dev
12 > nodes whenever someone logs in over ssh, like the one we used to have
13 > did) or like ConsoleKit.
14
15 I am not planning to delete group usb. I just want to discuss this permission
16 stuff and not decide alone.
19 For usb we sure keep GROUP=usb, MODE=664.
20 And for additionall packages maybe changed group, but still MODE=664.
23 Unlike most packages changing usb-permissions that now install MODE=660. I
24 should create a bug about this.
25
26 (Incomplete) list of affected packages:
27 media-libs/libgphoto2: GROUP="plugdev", MODE="660"
28 media-gfx/iscan: GROUP="scanner", MODE="660"
29 media-gfx/sane-backends: GROUP="scanner", MODE="660"
30
31 What about plugdev - should that name be changed?
32 Why is it used there? I remember it came from hal or similar.
33
34 Matthias
37 Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)
38 --