From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more hardening features to default?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:18:23
1 On Thursday 20 October 2011 12:47:27 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I was trying to draw a contrast between passive things like
3 > stack-protection and things that really get in your face like MAC.
4
5 the trouble was in the context quoting then ... it sounded like you were
6 proposing PaX by default
7
8 i am a fan of things that "just work" though which is why i was happy to merge
9 the fortify source code. most of that checking is done at compile time, so
10 the runtime overhead is generally small. and in terms of packages that did
11 break, it was (more often than not) because they were broken already but we
12 never noticed.
13 -mike