From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving more hardening features to default?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:48:45
1 On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > I would not recommend PaX at this time.  As Mike said, it breaks things,
3 > sometimes important things.  Eg. python ctypes was broken there for a
4 > while on hardened.  Also, unlike toolchain, it requires that you
5 > configure your kernel correctly, ie have familiarity with what works and
6 > what doesn't under certain PaX features.  This may be trivial for us,
7 > but might be more than we want to put newbies through.
8
9 I used it as an example because it is passive for the most part, and I
10 think most of the configuration could be handled by the ebuilds.
11
12 However, I didn't mean to suggest that it was ready to be made a
13 default. If the list of broken packages were small enough I think
14 that it would be fair to consider it as a future default to work
15 towards.
16
17 I was trying to draw a contrast between passive things like
18 stack-protection and things that really get in your face like MAC.
19
20 Rich