From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:44:34
1 _JusSx_ wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:36:22PM +0100, Gustavo Felisberto wrote:
3 >> A little background info: Right now there are three versions of
4 >> net-im/skype in the tree:
5 >>
6 >> 1 - the 1.2 series (with a stable version)
7 >> 2- the 1.3 series also with a stable version
8 >> 3- the 1.4 series with a ~/hardmask version
9 >>
10 >> Also the skype license states that we cannot mirror it's files (this
11 >> will be need later)
12 >>
13 >> The 1.4 series will have a version released soon that skype wants to
14 >> become the standard stable version, it has many new features and bette=
15 r
16 >> audio quality.
17 >>
18 >> I as Gentoo Dev and Skype Betatester was informed that starting on Jun=
19 e
20 >> 19th Skype will no longer provide downloads for the 1.2 and 1.3 versio=
21 n,
22 >> and that means that 1.4 will be released some time before. For Gentoo
23 >> that means that starting from the 19th users on the stable profile wil=
24 l
25 >> not be able to install skype as no files will be available from upstre=
26 am.
27 >>
28 >> So the thing is, as soon as Skype releases the 1.4 stable version I'm
29 >> going to have it in tree and we need to have it tested ASAP on the
30 >> stable profile. My thing is with the time between, we will have 5 days=
31
32 >> tops or users will not be able to install.
33 >>
34 >> Suggestions:
35 >> 1- in the 19th remove skype < 1.4 from the tree
36 >> 2- Make < 1.4 ebuilds "empty" and leave them on the tree and ewarn the=
37
38 >> users to use the unstable skype
41 >> The first option will trigger portage errors and prompt users to open
42 >> bugs until we have a stable 1.4, the second gives us a chance to expla=
43 in
44 >> the issue.
45 >>
46 >> Any alternatives?
47 >>
48 >> --=20
49 >> Gustavo Felisberto
50 >> (HumpBack)
51 >> Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~humpback
52 >> Blog: http://blog.felisberto.net/
53 >> ------------
54 >> It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
55 >> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .
59 > Let's remove it from portage. why should we use it? I run it for a bit =
60 I
61 > can say it's awful... it is closed-source, is not it? so I think it's
62 > better not to install it...
63
64 As we've established earlier, being closed-source is not sufficient
65 reason for removing any program from Portage; you should have read the
66 rest of the thread.