From: _JusSx_ <jussx0@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:09:26
1 On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 05:36:22PM +0100, Gustavo Felisberto wrote:
2 > A little background info: Right now there are three versions of
3 > net-im/skype in the tree:
4 >
5 > 1 - the 1.2 series (with a stable version)
6 > 2- the 1.3 series also with a stable version
7 > 3- the 1.4 series with a ~/hardmask version
8 >
9 > Also the skype license states that we cannot mirror it's files (this
10 > will be need later)
11 >
12 > The 1.4 series will have a version released soon that skype wants to
13 > become the standard stable version, it has many new features and better
14 > audio quality.
15 >
16 > I as Gentoo Dev and Skype Betatester was informed that starting on June
17 > 19th Skype will no longer provide downloads for the 1.2 and 1.3 version,
18 > and that means that 1.4 will be released some time before. For Gentoo
19 > that means that starting from the 19th users on the stable profile will
20 > not be able to install skype as no files will be available from upstream.
21 >
22 > So the thing is, as soon as Skype releases the 1.4 stable version I'm
23 > going to have it in tree and we need to have it tested ASAP on the
24 > stable profile. My thing is with the time between, we will have 5 days
25 > tops or users will not be able to install.
26 >
27 > Suggestions:
28 > 1- in the 19th remove skype < 1.4 from the tree
29 > 2- Make < 1.4 ebuilds "empty" and leave them on the tree and ewarn the
30 > users to use the unstable skype
33 > The first option will trigger portage errors and prompt users to open
34 > bugs until we have a stable 1.4, the second gives us a chance to explain
35 > the issue.
36 >
37 > Any alternatives?
38 >
39 > --
40 > Gustavo Felisberto
41 > (HumpBack)
42 > Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~humpback
43 > Blog: http://blog.felisberto.net/
44 > ------------
45 > It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
46 > http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .
50 Let's remove it from portage. why should we use it? I run it for a bit I
51 can say it's awful... it is closed-source, is not it? so I think it's
52 better not to install it...
57 Linux is only free if your time has no value
58
59 Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
60 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
61 --
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list