From: Gustavo Felisberto <humpback@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:39:39
1 A little background info: Right now there are three versions of
2 net-im/skype in the tree:
3
4 1 - the 1.2 series (with a stable version)
5 2- the 1.3 series also with a stable version
6 3- the 1.4 series with a ~/hardmask version
7
8 Also the skype license states that we cannot mirror it's files (this
9 will be need later)
10
11 The 1.4 series will have a version released soon that skype wants to
12 become the standard stable version, it has many new features and better
13 audio quality.
14
15 I as Gentoo Dev and Skype Betatester was informed that starting on June
16 19th Skype will no longer provide downloads for the 1.2 and 1.3 version,
17 and that means that 1.4 will be released some time before. For Gentoo
18 that means that starting from the 19th users on the stable profile will
19 not be able to install skype as no files will be available from upstream.
20
21 So the thing is, as soon as Skype releases the 1.4 stable version I'm
22 going to have it in tree and we need to have it tested ASAP on the
23 stable profile. My thing is with the time between, we will have 5 days
24 tops or users will not be able to install.
25
26 Suggestions:
27 1- in the 19th remove skype < 1.4 from the tree
28 2- Make < 1.4 ebuilds "empty" and leave them on the tree and ewarn the
29 users to use the unstable skype
32 The first option will trigger portage errors and prompt users to open
33 bugs until we have a stable 1.4, the second gives us a chance to explain
34 the issue.
35
36 Any alternatives?
39 Gustavo Felisberto
40 (HumpBack)
41 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~humpback
42 Blog: http://blog.felisberto.net/
44 It's most certainly GNU/Linux, not Linux. Read more at
45 http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html .