From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:53:37
1 On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:36 +0100, Gustavo Felisberto wrote:
2 > A little background info: Right now there are three versions of
3 > net-im/skype in the tree:
4 >
5 > 1 - the 1.2 series (with a stable version)
6 > 2- the 1.3 series also with a stable version
7 > 3- the 1.4 series with a ~/hardmask version
8 >
9 > Also the skype license states that we cannot mirror it's files (this
10 > will be need later)
11 >
12 > The 1.4 series will have a version released soon that skype wants to
13 > become the standard stable version, it has many new features and better
14 > audio quality.
15 >
16 <snip>
17 > Suggestions:
18 > 1- in the 19th remove skype < 1.4 from the tree
19 > 2- Make < 1.4 ebuilds "empty" and leave them on the tree and ewarn the
20 > users to use the unstable skype
23 > The first option will trigger portage errors and prompt users to open
24 > bugs until we have a stable 1.4, the second gives us a chance to explain
25 > the issue.
26 >
27 > Any alternatives?
30 3. Mask < 1.4 on the 19th with a descriptive message. That should have
31 the effect of 1 and 2, without breaking anything necessarily?
32
33 Sounds like we have a lose-lose situation here, and the best we can do
34 is make it not horrible.
35
36 Daniel
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list