From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:27:37
1 On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:04 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 16:00 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > >> Honestly, the only reason there is any suggestion of a conspiracy is
5 > >> because of the threats being made by certain people to keep a certain
6 > >> log a secret...
7 > >
8 > > The log contains information that was given to us in confidence. How
9 > > much plainer do I have to make it? We can not, and WILL NOT break that
10 > > trust. It really is that simple.
11 >
12 > Here's how it appears to someone reading all this, though:
13 >
14 > Ciaran *already knows* what's going on, which means that some person(s)
15 > who *were* privy to those meetings have talked, plain and simple. If
16 > that's true, then the information is out one way or another, and now the
17 > Council can decide if they want to talk about it first or let someone
18 > who wasn't actually at those meetings to divulge all the details.
19
20 Well, from what I can gather, he only *thinks* he knows what was going
21 on and he's filled in the blanks himself with whatever ideas he's come
22 up with on his own. If he really does have the logs, he wouldn't be
23 spouting off at the mouth since he would know that there's nothing
24 damning in there, at all.
25
26 > I guess it comes down to the trust you expect the Gentoo developers who
27 > voted for you in the first place to have in you against the trust the
28 > council members have in each other. This isn't a matter of throwing
29 > someone to the wolves, but consider the rest of the trust. :)
30
31 I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. Are you saying that
32 Gentoo developers would lose trust in us because we are keeping our word
33 to people who spoke to us in confidence? Are you referring to a
34 potential leak?
35
36 As I said, I will not betray the trust put in me. If someone says
37 something in confidence to me, it'll stay that way. I cannot speak for
38 all of the other Council members, but I put the same level of trust in
39 them to do the same. If one of them really has taken private
40 conversations and made them public, then we really do have a problem and
41 we need to address it, because that can severely damage Gentoo as a
42 whole very easily. If nobody trusts us anymore, why will they support
43 us? Simple. They won't.
46 Chris Gianelloni
47 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
48 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
49 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
50 Gentoo Foundation