From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:15:42
1 On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 19:50 -0400, Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > from the ones that are on the mirrors. so what is the hangup? I doubt
3 > it's storage space and bandwidth.
4
5 Uhh... it *is* storage space.
6
7 In fact, the space usage on our donated mirrors is one of the primary
8 motivators to have us decrease our space requirements, especially as
9 things seem to be increasing in size all on their own every release.
10
11 Not only that, but there's also the time required to build things and
12 test them. The Universal CD has always been the one thing that was the
13 hardest to get tested. With the amount and quality of testing that
14 we're receiving, we simply have to cut certain things. No amount of
15 complaining will change this. The only thing that will change it is for
16 us to get more *quality* testers. We had 35+ "Release Testers" for
17 2006.1, of which, about 7 were providing quality feedback. I don't know
18 if the rest even tested anything.
19
20 What it all boils down to is would you rather have a wide range of
21 shoddy release materials that may or may not work between different
22 releases, but "supports" all of the insane combinations of things you
23 would want to do, or would you rather have a few high quality release
24 materials that are well-tested? Release Engineering has decided that
25 higher quality media is better than lots of diverse low-quality media,
26 and nobody is going to convince us otherwise.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation