From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:11:25
On 6/19/10 8:43 AM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> As long as it doesn't get actively hostile we can continue with a > pretty large amount of friction. Read the archives of this mailing > list if you want to see how much :)
I think that is the point. Is just not being actively hostile a success? I'd say that a really friendly community is much more, and reducing friction seems to be a good goal to create such a community. Moreover, we don't just want to get along with ourselves. We want to encourage other people to join our community. We want to prevent people more sensitive to the tone (I think it's actually a good thing) from leaving. Because we lose their technical contributions as well (if that's the only thing you care about).
> The only thing you should do is fix things, not yell at me :)
Please remember about the human side of the equation. A large portion of Gentoo is just keeping it in technically good shape. In my opinion it's the task we're doing pretty well, probably because everybody agrees this is important. What we should improve, are the human communication skills (including mine, eh).
> Just let us get things done in an efficient way - maybe a bit more > politeness helps that, but sugarcoating everything won't.
I agree. We're still a technical-focused community, but we should not forget about politeness. Paweł

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>