From: Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin.gramlich@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Graphical User Interfaces Project
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:44:01
1 >From what I can tell the goal is to make GUIs to programs like equery,
2 rc-update, eclean, etc., right? Is there a formal design process here,
3 or could we all just take a stab at it?
4
5 Ciao,
6 bg
7
8 Markus Ullmann wrote:
9 >> Hello,
10 >>
11 >> I take it you intend to use GTK. May I suggest you also provide ncurses
12 >> interfaces to your programs? I'm not sure how much additional work that
13 >> would be, as I don't program UIs. But an additional ncurses interface
14 >> would provide users with the comfort of having the same tools available
15 >> in case their Xorg fails for some reason, and on their X-less servers.
16 >
17 > Erm, there is a big hint: patches welcome.
18 > Ncurses has the disadvantage of being a bit "underdocumented".
19 > So programming isn't that much fun, although when someone is willing to
20 > start, help will be there for sure :)
21 > Though we don't limit ourselves to one GUI. From what I've heard on IRC,
22 > nobody declined a request for other toolkit(s) if other people help with it.
23 >
24 > Greetz
25 > -Jokey
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list